brasero: "name.ext" is not suitable for audio or video media
I try to create an Audio CD using brasero 3.12.3-x86_64-1salix15 on a Slackware 15.0 based system.
slapt-get added the following packages to meet all dependencies:
The following NEW packages will be installed: graphene gstreamer gst-plugins-base libburn libisofs brasero
The exact versions of the packages:
1/6 Get http://slackware.uk/salix/x86_64/slackware-15.0/ graphene 1.10.6-x86_64-1 [104.0kB]...Done 2/6 Get http://slackware.uk/salix/x86_64/slackware-15.0/ gstreamer 1.18.5-x86_64-1 [1.7MB]...Done 3/6 Get http://slackware.uk/salix/x86_64/slackware-15.0/ gst-plugins-base 1.18.5-x86_64-1 [2.2MB]...Done 4/6 Get http://slackware.uk/salix/x86_64/slackware-15.0/ libburn 1.5.4-x86_64-2 [288.0kB]...Done 5/6 Get http://slackware.uk/salix/x86_64/15.0/ libisofs 1.5.4-x86_64-1gv [259.0kB]...Done 6/6 Get http://slackware.uk/salix/x86_64/extra-15.0/ brasero 3.12.3-x86_64-1salix15.0 [2.4MB]...Done
Starting brasero I get no errors in the terminal that started it:
When I click the "Audio project / Create a traditional audio CD" icon nothing happens in the terminal, but when I then click on the "+" icon ("Add files to the project") and the Open File Window opens, the starting terminal tells me this
(brasero:8385): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: 20:31:29.706: attempting to add an interface (EggTreeMultiDragSource) to class (GtkFileSystemModel) after class_init
The same error is repeated every time I go around in my filesystem (only the time stamp of the error changes)
And when I select any .wav or .mp3 that should be suitable, I always get this error:
"name.ext" could not be opened. "name.ext" is not suitable for audio or video media.
I tested several files that should be suitable, but all create the above error. Since the file I want to burn as Audio CD is sampled as 48000 Hz I used lame to convert that into a 44100 Hz highest quality mp3 because when in audacity-linux-3.2.1-x86_64 I set the sample rate to 44100 Hz but the exported .wav file still had 48000 Hz.
lame --resample 44100 --preset extreme lamesh_11100_1.wav
This is what ffprobe reports on that mp3 that I converted via lame mp3 with the above parameters:
$ ffprobe -hide_banner lamesh_11100_1.mp3 Input #0, mp3, from 'lamesh_11100_1.mp3': Duration: 01:03:39.49, start: 0.025057, bitrate: 216 kb/s Stream #0:0: Audio: mp3, 44100 Hz, stereo, fltp, 216 kb/s Metadata: encoder : LAME3.100 Side data: replaygain: track gain - 0.500000, track peak - unknown, album gain - unknown, album peak - unknown,
but still, brasero keeps insisting on
"lamesh_11100_1.mp3" could not be opened. "lamesh_11100_1.mp3" is not suitable for audio or video media.
Any ideas why that might be? Is some dependency missing or not working correct and brasero not tells me about this?
Both the warnings you get and the behaviour you see sound like bugs (but they don’t seem to be related, just separate issues).
Couple of notes:
I used lame to convert that into a 44100 Hz highest quality mp3
Why? that makes no sense. Converting to MP3 is lossy, even at high qualities, and while I haven’t tried LAME in a decade, I remember it honestly not being the best encoder.
Brasero should be (and in the past, has been) able to resample (that’s the name for the process of changing sampling rates without changing the audio). Either way, taking a detour through the (technically, by 2023) obsolete MP3 format is a bad idea. You could resample into a WAV just as well. You have
ffmpeg installed, so that would be super easy:
ffmpeg -i original_file_at_48_kHz.wav -ar 44100 out_at_44_1_kHz.wav
because when in audacity-linux-3.2.1-x86_64 I set the sample rate to 44100 Hz but the exported .wav file still had 48000 Hz.
lol, your converter then resampled again 🙂
Anyway, none of this conversion should be necessary, and assuming you don’t want to modify Brasero’s source code to fix any bugs, maybe, just, don’t use Brasero.
I don’t know what is available on Slackware, but other distros ship usually both
xfburn (very slim, but should do what you need) and
k3b. So, pick one of these and try them.